How’s work going? Stressful?
How’s home life? Stressful?
How’s training / diet? Stressful?
How’s the commute or the school run or the housework? Stressful?
We all have to deal with so much ‘stress’ that our bodies weren’t designed for.
Stress in all forms will lower your immune system and increase the output of a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol is the adrenaline hormone which was designed to protect us when we got into danger by raising our adrenaline, heart rate and senses but now we have this hormone pumping because we’re late, we have 100 emails or the kids made a mess.
Cortisol is also the hormone that gets us up in the morning and sets our circadian rhythm or sleep cycle.
The challenge with chronic stress is one of two things is happening to us all the time.
1. We are constantly releasing cortisol so our bodies don’t know which way is up and therefore when is time to sleep and when is time to wake up.
2. We are so ‘burnt out’ from high stress our bodies stop releasing cortisol in the amount we need and then we’re tired all the time so we then throw in loads of caffeine and that messes up number 1 even more …
So my top tips (note I’m a realist – you can’t eradicate stress!)
1. 1-2 shots of coffee a day at least an hour after rising
2. Use other sources of energy such as b-vits, green tea, match and turmeric for a healthier boost
3. Hit me up for a fizz stick sample
4. Breathe. In and out when you’re having a moment and feel your heart rate come back down.
5. Exercise – not the must kill myself by working out type – general activity – walking, yoga or even just some body weight work.
6. Time out – 5 minutes listening to music or an Audio book in the car or at home will
Make a difference!
7. No caffeine after 5pm and lights low and night mode an hour before bed. We use all
Lamps in my house.
8. Never hit the snooze button. Get up no matter how groggy you are – give it a few days and it will make a difference!